Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Who am I? Part 1


I only partially believe that heredity, parental characteristics, cultural environment, and birth order shape who you are. I believe in genetics and partially environment, but I also believe some things are just Gods work.

            I am the middle child in my family and I share only some of the ‘typical characteristics’ of the middle child. A common trait of the middle child is creativity; I definitely am pretty creative and good with crafts and artistic things. Middle children are also supposedly shy and loners, while I enjoy my alone time like everyone else once in a while,  I enjoy spending most of my time with friends so I don’t really consider myself a loner and definitely am not shy. Other characteristics of middle children are competitiveness, because you’re constantly competing for attention, rebellion also because you’re seeking attention, and being a peacemaker. I am pretty competitive, but I’m pretty well-behaved, and I usually start more arguments than I resolve.

I only partially agree with heredity because I don’t really look like either of my parents. I am much taller than both of them, my mother was always pretty stocky in high school and my dad is pretty stubby so my body type most likely comes from my grandfather on my mom’s side who is tall and thin. I share some physical features as my parents such as my dad’s blonde hair, my mom’s brown eyes, my dad’s nose, hands, and feet. It is a big joke in our family when we see pictures of my grandmother when she was young to call me ‘little Adeline’ because I am a spitting image of her.

 My parents parenting habits also don’t really have an effect on me either. My dad doesn’t speak to me very often and while he loves me, he just doesn’t really know how to be a parent, he mostly parented me through weekly phone calls and presents on Christmas and my birthday, and I accepted that when I was very young and I have no intention of parenting like that. My mom is not very strict and lets us by with basically everything which lead to behavior problems in my older brother and younger sister, I learned to parent myself so I’m not really affected by her parenting habits either.

            I believe that my cultural environment has had a large impact on me. My family is religious so I’ve always had pretty good morals in that aspect. Also, I live in such a small community there’s always someone looking out for me and making sure I’m ok and behaving so it encourages me to act better.

            In some aspects I do believe that heredity, parental characteristics, cultural environment, and birth order have an effect on what you look like and the person you become. Although, ultimately I believe that choose the person you become and how things effect you, but obviously you cannot control the physical traits you inherit.

No comments:

Post a Comment